I’m an only child. I grew up with a lot of silence and space. Now, as an adult, I CRAVE silence and space. I get cranky when there’s too much noise. I don’t need lots of friends. I don’t have the desire to be in large crowds. I’m honestly very comfortable in my own skin, in my own surroundings.
Today has been a perfect opportunity to have silence and space. I think it’s been well over a year since I’ve had the house to myself for a large expanse of the day. Steve and Keegan are at a Colts/Titans game in Tennessee this evening. I teach with VIP KID and did not want to cancel any classes. I told them to have some great father-son time and make some good memories!
What do I do when I have those quiet but blessed moments of solitude?
- I love uninterrupted reading time. When I’m not working on writing my own devotional, I read. I am reading about four books at the same time. I am devouring Rachel Hollis’ “Girl, Wash Your Face”, I’m reading “God Speed – Steering Through Triumph and Tragedy” by Chad Bonham for the third time, and I’m reading Dr. Lofas’ “Stepparenting: Everything You Need To Know to Make It Work”. I love her books, and they help me with material for my social media work for the Stepfamily Foundation. I LOVE books about self-improvement. There’s always room for inspiration and growth! I also read the Bible. I’ve finished the Books of Genesis and Job in my quest to complete the Bible in a year.
- I write. Two jobs, being a wife and mother, keeping up with a busy home, and traveling afford little time to keep up with my blog like I want to. When I get that random quiet day or block of hours, I work on my stepfamily devotional, I blog, or I write my dear friend Jane. Everyone needs a Jane, a trusted same-sex confidant.
- I nap. Yes, I admit that. I have asthma and get tired easy. I make no apologies for that. Sometimes that blessed hour of deep sleeps totally recharges my mood, my thought processes for work and writing, and…my skin. I always have a healthy glow after a good slumber.
- I do housework. I’m not ashamed to admit that, either. I love a clean house. It really makes me feel refreshed and centered when I can see a clean kitchen and family room at the start (and throughout) the day. Just speaking for myself, it makes me feel accomplished even if the work day has been ho-hum.
- I exercise. There’s something so therapeutic about putting on my headphones and blasting some classic grunge (I’m a 90’s girl) or some old school Metallica.
- Last but never, ever least – I miss my man and our little family. Steve is my best friend in this whole world. I miss my husband. It’s good to miss someone. It shows they occupy a very important place in your heart.
Solitude makes me temporarily happy, but seeing my boys walk through the door at 5 am tomorrow morning will make this lady very grateful indeed. 🙂
As I sit here eagerly awaiting election results and fighting a serious cold, I thought I’d do something fun and whimsical. So, here are 25 random things about the Sunshine Stepmom. 🙂
- I love PBR, as in Professional Bull Riders. My favorite bull of all time is Little Yellow Jacket.
- I was a police officer in my early 20’s. I worked for Clearwater Police and Pinellas County Campus Police as a School Resource Officer.
- Roman Hamrlik is my favorite hockey player of all time. No. 44, Tampa Bay Lightning.
- I’ve held a human brain before. They are heavy and indeed gray.
- My husband Steve is my favorite person of all time. He’s my best friend.
- I am left handed.
- My kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Haupt, is a huge reason why I am a Christian.
- It Is Well With My Soul 🙂
- I have had the lead role in several community theatre comedies. I love to make people laugh.
- I’m a good shot. I have a custom AR.
- Helio Castroneves played a pivotal part in our engagement.
- I am a proud stepmom. I’ve been in Keegan’s life for almost 17 years.
- My maternal side of the family can be traced back to Jamestown.
- I gave James Earl Jones a stamp for his letter. He wanted to pay for the stamp.
- I am a proud graduate of the University of Florida.
- I’ve represented my department at a fallen officer’s funeral. Saddest day of my life.
- My hands resemble my dad’s and PawPaw’s. I’m honored.
- I am a third generation Floridian of 30 years but I love living in Georgia during this chapter.
- This year will be mine and Steve’s 15th consecutive Indy 500 together.
- I have developed a touch of social anxiety but I’m working on that.
- I’ve been to New York City and San Francisco, and I love them both.
- I could kneeboard until my legs fall off. Great water sport!
- I had a conversation with Mario Andretti about his pet pig.
- I’ve been stung by a catfish. It’s a pain that cuts to the bone.
- I never lie about my age. I love being 44, almost 45! God Bless. 🙂